“Kia eke ngā taura ki te pae o angitū, ki tōnā taumata ikeike, to enable students to achieve their personal best, to the pinnacle of their potential.”
Why Learn Te Reo?
Te Reo Māori and Tikanga Māori are intertwined. Learning Te Reo Māori gives students access to te ao Māori (the Māori world) and to Māori world views. The insights and experiences that students gain as they learn the language will enrich and broaden their understanding of the uniqueness and complexity of te ao Māori.
- Develop competence in oral and written Māori.
- Cultivate wairua Māori.
- Develop understanding, sensitivity towards, and respect for, te ao Māori and Tikanga Māori (with emphasis on local Tikanga.)
- Learn various modes of delivering the language, such as listening, reading, viewing and presenting.
Students will be encouraged to:
- Speak Māori accurately and appropriately.
- Comprehend spoken Māori.
- Comprehend written Māori.
- Research, analyse, speak and write their thoughts logically on and about te ao Māori and Tikanga Māori.
- Write Māori accurately and appropriately.
- Develop opinions in Māori and be able to communicate them confidently and assertively.