Aims and Philosophy
The Glenfield College Dance Department seeks to encourage all students to achieve their very best in a range of genres and techniques, and the requirements of the National Dance Curriculum. We simultaneously aim to help all students develop a passion for dance so that they may develop as dancers, choreographers and performing artists. The Dance Department provides highly qualified and experienced instruction in the theoretical, technical and practical aspects of a wide range of dance styles.
“Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance. Great dancers are great because of their passion” – Martha Graham
About the Department
· We have a well-appointed purpose-built studio space with full-length mirrors, barre, wooden floor and sound equipment.
· We have access to the Kaipatiki Theatre for assessment and performance work.
· We have a range of reference texts, music and recorded dance works that students can access during their course of study.
Dance Genres by Year Level
- Year 9: Hip Hop, Jazz, Bollywood, Maori Inspired Dance*
- Year 10: Contemporary, Hip Hop, Disco, Tap, Circus Inspired Dance*, Sasa
- Year 11: No Year 11 Class in 2017
- Year 12 + Year 13: Lyrical, Broadway Jazz, Contemporary Ballet, Modern, Site Specific*, Ballroom.
*= Student choreography
The Dance Department currently has two competitive/performance based dance troupes. Both troupes a contemporary/ lyrical based groups and go under the name Perspective Dance Troupe (Junior). Students must audition for a place in this troupe.
Ms Jordyn Wilson
Teacher-in-Charge of Dance
Email: [email protected]